BTEC Level 3 – Unit 7 – Practical Sports Performance

CONNECT AND JOIN US Forums ShareSpace Forum BTEC Level 3 – Unit 7 – Practical Sports Performance

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jenna Hulme 1 month ago.

• Author

Thomas Sanderson
    Participant

Hi all, currently marking Unit 7 and about to have learning aims C and D submitted also. However, my colleague and I are struggling to be sure of what warrants a grade from a practical point of view and would like the opportunity to see moderated / sampled merit and distinction work.
    Is the practical performance in a competitive situation restricting students to more than a pass?
    Thanks in advance!

Laurence Mallett
    Participant

Hi,

I spoke with the Pearson lead yesterday and this was her advice:

Pass: Could consist of a performance (at any level) in isolated practises, without opponent pressure focusing on varying skills, techniques and tactics. Spacial awareness could be viewed as a tactical ability and could be displayed in 3 vs 1 scenario etc.

Merit: Must include FULL CONTEXT equivalent to GCSE PE requirements. If football, must be full 11 vs 11 and performance must show performance to a higher level that set for pass.

Distinction: Must be ‘high ability’ performance with students showing their ability to adapt to various tactical situations and making consistent decisions to improve performance and therefore impact on the competitive situation.

MUST BE VIDEO EVIDENCE AVAILABLE FOR EV

I hope this helps!

Thomas Sanderson
    Participant

Hi Laurence,

Many thanks for this. I think the guidance can open many interpretations which conflict.

So between the merit and distinction grade, we are becoming more reliant on the video evidence rather than their PowerPoint? For example, I have students analysing their performance and choosing their best examples if each skill, which all adapt, yet generally in their performance, outside of those ‘highlights’ they offer little in the way of more evidence of adapting to situations. Would you interpret this as a merit rather than a distinction?

Many thanks!

Robert Dengate
    Participant

Hi

i’m happy to share work for moderation purposes if it helps?

Thomas Sanderson
      Participant

Hi Robert,

That would be fantastic! As am I. We are marking currently for Learning Aim A and B, then C and D is due next week.

My email is: tsanderson@lfatq.org.uk

Many thanks!

Ben
      Participant

Hi Robert. I too am. In the process of marking a unit 7 sample. Do you have a distinction grade piece of work that you wouldn’t mind sharing. I’m happy to send you one of my marked pieces also.

Thanks

Ben

Gareth Moody
      Participant

Any chance of jumping on this band wagon. I have A&B due in December and C&D due in March and am not sure of interpretation of spec.
      Thanks
      Gareth

Jenna Hulme
      Participant

This would be a great help 🙂
      Awaiting A+B submissions….
      jenna.hulme@hotmail.co.uk

Michelle
    Participant

Hi all after some help, sorry to jump on to this thread! Really unsure as to what is needed for my students to complete P1, M1, D1. In the spec it says

‘Learners will be given video scenarios to judge. Learners will show an understanding of the rules/laws and regulations relevant to different sports and its impact on individual performance’.

So far I have asked my students to explain the key rules/laws etc and how they would apply them if they were an official. I’ve also got them to write a report on an officals performance but as of yet have not given them any scenarios to judge and now I am beginning to get confused myself!! Has anyone completed this already?

Thomas Sanderson
      Participant

Hi Michelle,

I have included all of the above as well as assessments on the players ‘compliance / non-compliance’ in scenarios linked to rules and regulations. I may have overdone it but after comparing it to the example by BTEC, I am confident we have provided opportunities to go above and beyond.

Thanks,

Tom

Gareth Moody
    Participant

Anybody got any assignment briefs they would be willing to share or any resources, I am teaching post 16 for the 1st time.
    Thanks in advance

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.